For all companies and founders who have chosen a legal form and are entered in the commercial register, it is possible to choose a company name. This company name can be “different” than the business name and also stand on its own.
But when a company name is selected, there are a few things to consider, such as how the company name can be protected and whether the name does not violate any naming rights.
A company name in the commercial register entry
According to Electronicsencyclopedia, merchants and corporations , i.e. all companies that are entered in the commercial register, can use a company name. The company name is the name of the company under which the entrepreneur then conducts his business. This means that this name is used for business transactions and at the same time it identifies the business enterprise. However, it is important to know that the company name also has a significant economic meaning, because it ensures individuality and distinguishability from other companies.
However, if a company name is selected, it should be checked whether the selected name is not identical to or similar to other existing company names. On the one hand, the company name is protected by civil law when it is actually used and, on the other hand, it is also protected by commercial law after the company has been entered in the commercial register. In addition, the company name can also be registered as a trademark with the German Patent and Trademark Office (DPMA).
Choosing a company name: own or imaginary name?
The company name can also consist of a wide variety of components:
- It can contain your own name, for example “Mustermann OHG”
- He can also have a subject or job title, for example “Mustermann’s Fitnessstudio OHG”
- Another option is a fantasy name as a company name.
- Furthermore, the company name can also be a combination of personal, factual and imaginary names.
However, the selected company name must always contain the company’s legal form. If a company name is selected, the following aspects must be taken into account:
- It should be distinctive and distinctive. This is especially important if the company name does not contain a pure industry name for the subject or job description.
- The liability and business relationships must be evident by adding the legal form to the company name.
- The company name must not be misleading. Therefore, terms such as institute, finance, bio, center, bank or European are not permitted in the company name.
Tips for finding a name
To find a company name you have to go step by step. If you are looking for a company name, you start to rummage through word and phrase fields and also set priorities. It is also possible to discuss the company name in the team. Furthermore, the company name should be checked for existing rights of other company names. Name generators are excellent support for name searches.
One such name generator is NameRobot, with which entrepreneurs and companies can develop their company names as well as product or project names that are then unique. The name generator offers a wide variety of tools, from the first collection of ideas to the brand check, with which it is possible to select a company name.
- The name should be easy to remember and easy to pronounce.
- The company name should not be ambiguous, but easy to understand.
- The name should grab attention, so creativity is required.
- He should not be aroused any negative associations. It is better to choose neutral terms.
- The name should be expandable in case the business is to be expanded to other areas in the future.
- The company name should not be too general, but emphasize the special features of the company.
- When choosing name trends, you should avoid name trends, otherwise confusion can easily occur.
- Pictorial expressions are particularly well suited, because such words are easy to remember because they evoke images in the mind.
Protect and verify the company name.
If a company name has been found, care must be taken that the selected name does not infringe the naming rights of an existing company. Because a brand name that has already been registered can lead to lawsuits against your own company name.