Shamokin, Pennsylvania is a city in Northumberland County with a population of approximately 7,374 people as of the 2010 census. The city is situated in the Appalachian Mountains and is surrounded by rolling hills, forests, and streams. The climate in Shamokin is typical of the Northeastern United States with cold winters and hot summers.
The history of Shamokin dates back to 18th century when it was founded by German immigrants. The town grew quickly due to its location on the Susquehanna River and its proximity to natural resources such as coal, iron ore, and limestone. From the late 19th century through much of the 20th century, Shamokin was an important industrial center for coal mining, steel production, and textiles.
Shamokin’s politics are dominated by local issues such as education funding and economic development. The current mayor is Sean Strub who was elected in 2016. He has focused on improving infrastructure and creating jobs for residents.
The economy of Shamokin is largely driven by manufacturing with companies such as Kawneer Company Inc., All American Containers Inc., and United Textile Supply Co., Inc., among others located in the city limits. There are also several retail outlets located in downtown Shamokin including clothing stores, restaurants, and antique shops.
Schools in Shamokin include two public school districts: Line Mountain School District which serves students from kindergarten through 12th grade; and Mount Carmel Area School District which serves students from kindergarten through 8th grade. There are also several private schools located nearby including Our Lady of Lourdes Regional Catholic School which serves students from pre-kindergarten through 8th grade; St John Neumann Regional Academy which serves students from pre-kindergarten through 8th grade; and Holy Family Academy which serves students from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade.
Among the landmarks in Shamokin are Coal Hill Park which offers hiking trails along with picnic areas; Hillside Cemetery where many prominent citizens are buried; Market Street Bridge built over Susquehanna River connecting Northumberland County to Snyder County; Frontier Days Festival celebrating local culture held annually since 1971; World War II Memorial honoring local veterans who served during WWII; Our Lady of Lourdes Church built in 1871; Victory Park featuring baseball fields, tennis courts, basketball courts, playgrounds, walking paths; Indian Echo Caverns offering tours exploring underground caves with stalactites and stalagmites formations; Sunbury Market House built around 1790 providing food market space for farmers selling produce to locals; Fort Augusta State Park offering camping sites along with historical exhibits about colonial times when fort was used during French & Indian War period (1754-1763).
Population: 8,009. Estimated population in July 2020: 7,581 (-5.3% change)
Males: 3,707 (46.3%), Females: 4,302 (53.7%)
Zip code: 17872
Median resident age: 40.8 years
Median household income: $20,173
Median house value: $29,000
Races in Shamokin:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.4%)
- Hispanic (0.6%)
Ancestries: Polish (23.6%), German (21.0%), Dutch (16.4%), Irish (12.9%), Italian (12.8%), United States (6.1%).
Elevation: 720 feet
Land area: 0.8 square miles
The population of Shamokin, Pennsylvania, is estimated to be around 7,100 people according to the 2010 census. The city is located in Northumberland County and offers a variety of amenities for its residents. The median household income for Shamokin is $31,000 which is slightly lower than the national average.
The cost of living in Shamokin is slightly below the national average. Housing costs are relatively low, with the median price for a home being around $73,000. Rent prices are also reasonable with an average one-bedroom apartment costing around $650 per month. Groceries and utilities are also generally affordable in Shamokin compared to other cities in Pennsylvania. Residents can expect to pay an average of $62 per month for electricity and $45 per month for water and sewer services. Transportation costs are also reasonable with gas prices being lower than the national average and public transportation options available throughout the city.
For population 25 years and over in Shamokin
- High school or higher: 73.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.4%
- Unemployed: 10.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Shamokin city
- Never married: 26.7%
- Now married: 43.4%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 13.8%
- Divorced: 13.1%
0.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -1,216 (-13.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Shamokin:
- SHAMOKIN AREA COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 1 miles; COAL TOWNSHIP, PA)
- GEISINGER MEDICAL CENTER (about 13 miles; DANVILLE, PA)
- PENN STATE – GEISINGER REHAB HOSP (about 13 miles; DANVILLE, PA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Shamokin:
- WILLIAMSPORT RGNL (about 40 miles; WILLIAMSPORT, PA; Abbreviation: IPT)
- HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL (about 44 miles; HARRISBURG, PA; Abbreviation: MDT)
- LANCASTER (about 50 miles; LANCASTER, PA; Abbreviation: LNS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Shamokin:
- NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY (about 4 miles; SHAMOKIN, PA; Abbreviation: N79)
- DANVILLE (about 13 miles; DANVILLE, PA; Abbreviation: 8N8)
- SUNBURY (about 14 miles; SUNBURY, PA; Abbreviation: H11)
Colleges and Universities
According to educationvv, Pennsylvania is home to the following higher educational institutes:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Shamokin:
- BLOOMSBURG UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 18 miles; BLOOMSBURG, PA; Full-time enrollment: 6,880)
- BUCKNELL UNIVERSITY (about 28 miles; LEWISBURG, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,534)
- HARRISBURG AREA COMMUNITY COLLEGE-HARRISBURG (about 41 miles; HARRISBURG, PA; Full-time enrollment: 4,653)
- PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY-PENN ST HARRISBURG (about 43 miles; MIDDLETOWN, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,064)
- PENNSYLVANIA COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 46 miles; WILLIAMSPORT, PA; Full-time enrollment: 4,666)
- LUZERNE COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 48 miles; NANTICOKE, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,582)
- PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY-PENN STATE BERKS (about 52 miles; READING, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,003)
Private primary/middle schools in Shamokin:
- QUEEN OF PEACE SCHOOL (Students: 235; Location: 201 N SHAMOKIN STREET; Grades: KG – 8)
- TRANSFIGURATION ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 120; Location: 129 N SHAMOKIN STREET; Grades: KG – 8)
Library in Shamokin:
- SHAMOKIN & COAL TWP PUB LIB (Operating income: $215,006; Location: 210 EAST INDEPENDENCE ST; 41,399 books; 1,100 audio materials; 655 video materials; 79 serial subscriptions)